Thursday 14 April 2011

Addicted!!!


My New Roots - How to Cook Quinoa from My New Roots on Vimeo.

So I am now officially addicted to quinoa!! (pronounced keen-wa)

In my quest to lead a more nutritionally balanced lifestyle (even though it may not seem like it with all the baking I've been doing and the talk of enjoying hot cross buns with lashings of butter... however the keyword in the sentence is balanced!) I have been on the hunt for new and exciting healthy foods to tantalise my tastebuds. Whilst engaging in this pursuit I discovered the goodness of the super grain, quinoa! I'd been hearing bits and pieces mentioned about quinoa here and there for a while now, but it wasn't until recently that I actually got around to trying it and have been obsessed ever since!!

Quinoa has it's own unique taste and texture, kind of nutty, kind of crunchy a little grassy, hard to describe .... you kind of have to try it for yourself to really be able to embrace it! ..... maybe I'm so addicted because I know how good it is for me and that each little granule is working it's magic and providing my body with such goodness!! It's hard to believe how much protein is jam packed into each grain!!! Keeps you full for ages too which is always good :)

You have to make sure however that you have a good recipe! because if you don't you can end up feeling like your stuffing your face with spoonfuls of dirt which does not sound tantalising in the slightest!!! I found the cute video above on the blog - my new roots. It's a great blog by holistic nutritionist Sarah Britton, with lots of healthy recipes and nutritional advice. I love the video, I think it's really fun and shows how simple it is to prepare quinoa. As much as I am currently loving quinoa right now I know it's not for everyone but maybe just maybe this little whole grain will be your new found addiction too??!!

Simran xx

1 comment:

  1. Yo so I just made some Quinoa for dinner and I'm loving it. Cheers for the intro Simo. Keep the awesome posts coming.

    ReplyDelete